Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Can You Help A High School Student Who is Interested in MSSU?

Yes, we are asking for your input again. This time, we are asking you to respond to the following request for information on MSSU, from a current high school student. The student's name has been changed to protect her identity. Add your response as a comment to this post or e-mail it to Dr. Kluthe or to me. Thanks gang, we know we can count on you!


Hello!
My name is *Ms. X*. I live in Joplin and I am considering going to school at MSSU. I am going to apply to the Honors Program, so I was interested in asking an Honors student what they thought about it. I really want to know what there is to do on campus. Im kindof looking for a big university atmosphere with alot of student involvement and school spirit. Are there fun things to do on campus? How easy is it to meet people? I am worried that I will be bored becuase I have lived in Joplin all of my life, but I think the college lifestyle will offer alot of different (and fun!) things to keep me busy. Also, I would like to know your take on the residence halls. The dorm atmosphere is what I am looking forward to the most!
Thank you so much for helping me out with some real info!
*Ms. X*

1 comment:

Jeff Martinek said...

This is from Honors Student Mariya Gavrilova:

A Couple of Reasons to Choose MSSU


I have lived in a big city and I really don't miss that life now. It is mainly because the campus is like a whole community: you know the people, they know you. This is good! I don't think you will be bored! Since you are from Joplin you might feel there's nothing you can do that you haven't already done. But there will be NEW PEOPLE!!! That makes a huge DIFFERENCE! I mean, what do young people your age normally do? It's not the activities that matter- they will be the same everywhere, it's the PEOPLE! there is a great CHANCE of meeting AWESOME people at Southern, and especially at the Honors Program. I am focusing on that point because I believe it is very important.
Another thing I really like is the things you can do on campus: as a student you will constantly receive e-mails full of interesting ideas to spend your free time! There is SO MUCH going on! You can be a member of a club; each club does different things but it's a lot of fun and it's the best way to make new friends, develop personal qualities, establish long term relationships. (You organize meetings, celebrations, take decisions-this gives you a chance to see how you are developing in terms of presenting your arguments, evaluating other people's opinion, criticizing in a good tone etc. All this is within a relatively small group of students so if you are shy this will help you "come out of your shell". I didn't even mention the different organizations but I want to tell you about the couch in the Honors Office! Oh, boy! It's so comfortable! It's the best couch I have sat on! Besides, the Honors Office is the place where you will always get something: candy, chair, smiles, peace, compassion, support, advice, encouragement! It's worth it!
About professors: at first I found it embarrassing and really hard to respond to their jokes and talk to them in a way I would talk to somebody close to me. At my school teachers didn't talk to you apart from their lecture. They were not interested in what my life was like, if I was having troubles or not. Here teachers try to make a class intriguing even if their subject is not of somewhat great interest to students. They are also concerned about the progress you are making in the class. What amazes me is their willingness to listen to student's whining! Most of the instructors at MSSU are PEOPLE, not machines that walk into a room, talk and walk out!
One more thing: I am taking a dance class this semester. There are faculty members as well as students. It's MY FAVORITE CLASS! See, I am still in my first year here and I am feeling contented! If it continues to be like that, 3 years from now I might be nominated for the HAPPIEST PERSON of the year!