Friday, February 24, 2006
Honors Student Absenteeism
I was shocked this morning to learn that there are honors students that miss classes, even honors classes!! Ok, I know you are saying, "Wake up, Kluthe, this is the real world." But nonetheless I am still dismayed. I do expect you to be different from the norm, after all, that is why you were admitted to the honors program. Attending classes is crucial to your success as you develop as a scholar. I realize that education occurs in and out of the classroom, but when you are asleep in your room there is no good learning taking place. (Don't you dare debate this point with me.) Help me understand. How prevalent is honors absenteeism? Am I the last to know? Certainly any student must miss a class now and then, but I assume (OK, that is my first mistake) that there is a valid excuse, such as, "I wanted to come to class, but the color of the walls in our classroom makes me feel light-headed, and I find myself nauseated." (A true excuse I heard one time, BUT not from an honors student.) OK, really, I expect honors students to be in class every stinking day. Talk to me, tell me the reality that I am missing. Let me know what you think about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Dr. Kluthe,
Unfortunately I can't say that I have had perfect attendance, but you can bet that on the rare occasion that I do miss, I would MUCH rather be in class. I know that hearing about student absenteeism is discouraging, but just remember that there are plenty more that are in attendance.
Skipping class is not such a cut and dried issue. I have skipped class on occaison and I don't feel I have missed anything. In all honesty some lectures are re-runs I've heard in that class or somewhere else. My mind just ends up wondering where my body could be. I know some classmates who skip to do productive things and others who never skip. As for me, I don't skip classes with good discussions or skip to catch z's. I think the same goes for most honors students.
My take on this is VERY cut and dried:
When we agreed to pay for your tuition for four years, you agreed not to waste the money entrusted to us.
Anyone with a glancing familiarity with current economic and professional trends knows that the opportunity to graduate college with zero student debt is one of the greatest benefits any young person can enjoy. Yet some of our students take this as some kind of birthright. It isn't---and some of you will find out the hard way.
When you don't show up for class, or show up "in body only," you are asking us to pay for an empty seat----a seat that could have been occupied by a more serious and/or appreciative student.
You are also doing real damage to the reputation of the program, which is by nature subject to being criticized as a place where elitist smart-asses are coddled and lavished with perks that other students on campus don't get to enjoy.
As for the argument that some of you are smart enough already and can't benefit any more from the classroom experience---don't go there, girlfriend. If that's the case, give up your scholarship now and drop us a line when you graduate Summa Cum Laude from Yale.
Unfortunately, only one or two students displaying this arrogant attitude is enough to raise eyebrows around campus and put the directors in a difficult position when it comes to advocating for all Honors students. We go to the mat for you guys every day of the week, and it's incredibly disappointing when we hear that our assumptions about your honor and maturity are mistaken.
I'm particularly disgusted that some students in this program think this issue is all a big joke: "you expect me to get up for a 9:00 am class?? Ha ha!"
Believe me, we are NOT laughing, and students who continue to show this kind of cavalier attitude towards attendance will not be laughing much longer either.
Ok, well here's my lil idea as what I like to call myself, a "Wanna-be, not-so-smart, very lucky to even be considered for the program, Honors Student." Maybe, I'm not as smart as some others are claiming to be, and maybe I get extra stressed if I don't know what is exactly said, or maybe I'm just an over-achiever, but this whole idea of "I'm a genious that doesn't need to hear the lecture in order to comprehend the topic??!?!" So much for HUMILITY! ha. Altogether, I understand your frustrations, and this is worthy of disappointment.
A careless attitude does NOTHING for ANYONE- not your peers, friends, foes, family, etc etc. I know it's hard to get up in the mornings, I know it's hard to pay attention, I know it's hard to be sincere in your learning. It does sometimes become a job. But it is a choice, as is life in general, to live each day. It is a choice to have a smile on your face. It is a CHOICE to be a part of society. So honestly, as Honors Students, we are "getting PAID" to be successful students and in turn, employees. You can't slack on the job. It's not always hunky-dory, but..... it's life. Welcome to the real world everyone.
In my few months here I have learned much more than I knew I could in such a time period. And yet, I still haven't put a dent in my ignorance. I feel like I should appologize for my very candid response earlier. Ingratitude was certainly not my intention on the few occaisions of my absence. I am very grateful for the situation I'm in here at Southern, and for not showing it better, I am deeply sorry.
To elaborate on the subject of honors absenteeism, I can attest to honors students' attendance being much above the average. Although the state of things isn't bad, I think professors can improve the situation. For example, I have had a few with the attitude that they didn't mind their students missing class. On the opposite end of the spectrum, one has told the class that if we missed "I'll kill ya!" Needless to say I've never missed a day. Also, the freedom new to us in the college setting has come upon some of us before we have rid ourselves of the residue of high school sentiment. It will pass.
-tim
Post a Comment