Sunday, June 25, 2006

Nate Billings - "Why we should go to Honors presentations"

Honors Senior Nate Billings leaves us with a final shot over the bow on his blog, a long and passionately-argued post entitled "Why we should go to Honors presentations." It's great advice from an Honors veteran to all honors students, especially the freshmen and sophomore who are still getting acclimated to the culture of the program.

A sample:

The best way we can grow academically is through understanding our friends. A person is set in a direction where that person knows his or her field of study like the back of his or her hand. That person naturally will love to talk about it. And, why not? Other people should appreciate it. It's the first-hand primary source for learned intellegence. Forming bonds early in this program is one of the greatest things I have ever felt. I appreciate it when my friends listen to my crazy rants on communication models and it felt good to have my friends in my presentation. I'm sure others feel the same way. It builds confidence and keeps things comfortable. The atmosphere is light and it's more like having a conversation than giving a speech.

The next time any of us has a presentation, we should try to go. Excuses aside, it's a great experience and we all need it. Don't go through your years not seeing an Honors Thesis... It'll just hurt you in the end. Go to your friends'. Go to those in areas you don't understand. Go to those you're familiar with. Go. Go. Go.
You may be surprised too.
In the years I've been here, I've seen, read, or heard of:

Jane Austen: Views on Marriage.
What does toothpaste flavoring do?
Comics as literature
Nursing errors
Measuring oxygen levels in the blood (what does that clip thing on your finger do?)
Childhood superhero play
Perceptions of non-verbals
And the list goes on... and on...

No comments: