Sophomore Tim Shelhamer has another long and thoughtful post to share with us regarding his international study experience in Hong Kong. Tim has specifically asked for students to comment on the issue of international students and assimilation:
Before I came to Hong Kong I noticed that they are very much a clique in Missouri Southern. I talk to several of them, and they are generally friendly, but why is it that people from Denmark (or any other country) hang out with people from Africa, Chile, France, China, etc. (you get my point) instead of being absorbed into other social circles? I thought the purpose of studying abroad was to gain an understanding of a different place with different customs by putting yourself in a new and sometimes uncomfortable situation. In part, I attribute the lack of assimilation to the idea that most people take the path of least resistance. After all, we exchange students, while we may have very little in common with each other before meeting in our respective schools, now are in the same situation. We are in a new place and don’t know anyone. We band together. Would the same people be friends if you removed the common factor of both being study abroad students?Tim wants your feedback. Read the whole post and comment here for all to see.
No comments:
Post a Comment